StarCluster - Mailing List Archive

Re: StarCluster UI, private cloud, --local-master, django

From: Dmitry Serenbrennikov <no email>
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2013 20:06:48 +0000

Hi,

I wanted second the interest in UI for starcluster and for ability to run in similar scenarios as described by Michael Shamberger and others.
I am new to StarCluster and to python, but a many-year java veteran (maybe survivor? graduate? :) )

A little more context for my usecases:
We have recently started using StarCluster at Adchemy to manage machine learning model training workloads. Our main datastores are in on-premises Hadoop HDFS and in various databases that are either on premisses or in AWS VPC. Just the other day I switched to the develop branch to pick up the VPC capability and so far it's working pretty well.

My goal with StarCluster is to build a more-or-less turnkey platform for our researchers to build and test new algos with ready access to our data resources, and also to serve as the production platform for the same algos without much change.

I would be interested in helping develop and/or test the following:
- Local Master seems like an interesting approach, which looks like a special case of the "cloud burst" capability Michael describes.
- UI is definitely a missing feature. I am also thinking of Django as the platform. Hopefully RESTful API and the UI both would come from this.
    Another potential direction is to base on / copy / get inspired by Netflix Genie (https://github.com/Netflix/genie)
- GCE is interesting, but probably longer range for us (we haven't outgrown AWS yet, but if the pricing changes it might become important)
- Software Plugins - if you mean plugins that are separately distributable, then yes, that would be very interesting. I suppose this is already possible, no?

Some other things on my wish / todo list:
- integration with Route53 (or other DNS), especially for VPC scenarios
      Assigning sub-domains to clusters and automatically registering master with DNS (less so with for the nodes)
- integrating loadbalancer into the cluster master itself, so that it's not necessary to have another machine / process for the cluster to be elastic

Finally, I want say a big Thank You to all the folks that have contributed to StarCluster already! It's a great piece of software and already solves a great need for us very nicely!
Thanks very much! And I'm excited to help more!

Thanks!
-Dmitry Serebrennikov

Message: 1