StarCluster - Mailing List Archive

Re: technical problem

From: Steve Darnell <no email>
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2013 21:28:54 +0000

Hi Yehuda,

Is 'sgeadmin' even in the sudoers list (/etc/sudoers)? I did not think so, but I do not have a cluster running to confirm. If not, sgeadmin will not have sudo privileges without a configuration change.

Alternatively, the 'ubuntu' user should be preinstalled and configured for password-less sudo by Amazon (http://askubuntu.com/questions/192050/how-to-run-sudo-command-with-no-password) since the starcluster image is based on an Ubuntu instance.

Another option is to run a single remote command as root with sshmaster/sshnode (http://star.mit.edu/cluster/docs/latest/manual/runcommands.html?highlight=sshmaster). This approach is functionally similar to sudo with regards to preventing the accidental use of an open root shell. Neither approach will prevent the actual script from doing "bad things" with elevated privileges. This is the approach I have used in the past since it is well supported in starcluster.

Best regards,
Steve