StarCluster - Mailing List Archive

Can't start a cluster in a region other than the default (N.Virginia).

From: Izhar Wallach <no email>
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2013 15:19:38 -0400

Hello,

I'm trying to start a 2-node cluster in the us-west-2 region and the
initialization does not go beyond the "waiting for instances to activate"
stage. I can see that the instances are up and running through the EC2 web
console (and I can login to them directly). When I'm using the default east
region everything works well.

I'm using the latest startcluster version from Git. I first tried to use
the latest stable version (0.93.3) but got errors regarding "Invalid
security group description. Valid
descriptions are limited to 255 characters..." (again, just when trying to
use a region other than the default).

Below is the output of the start command:
izharw_at_izharw-VirtualBox:~/Desktop/EC2$ starcluster -r us-west-2 start test
StarCluster - (http://star.mit.edu/cluster) (v. 0.9999)
Software Tools for Academics and Researchers (STAR)
Please submit bug reports to starcluster_at_mit.edu

>>> Using default cluster template: smallcluster
>>> Validating cluster template settings...
>>> Cluster template settings are valid
>>> Starting cluster...
>>> Launching a 2-node cluster...
>>> Creating security group _at_sc-test...
Reservation:r-58cb656d
>>> Waiting for cluster to come up... (updating every 30s)
>>> Waiting for instances to activate...|^

And these are the entries of my configuration file:
[global]
DEFAULT_TEMPLATE=smallcluster
[aws info]
AWS_ACCESS_KEY_ID = XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
AWS_SECRET_ACCESS_KEY = XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
AWS_USER_ID = XXXXXXXXXXXXXX
AWS_REGION_NAME = us-west-2
AWS_REGION_HOST = ec2.us-west-2.amazonaws.com
[key oregon]
KEY_LOCATION=~/Desktop/EC2/oregon.rsa
[cluster smallcluster]
KEYNAME = oregon
CLUSTER_SIZE = 2
CLUSTER_USER = sgeadmin
CLUSTER_SHELL = bash
NODE_IMAGE_ID = ami-706afe40
NODE_INSTANCE_TYPE = t1.micro
MASTER_INSTANCE_TYPE = t1.micro
PERMISSIONS = ssh
[permission ssh]
PROTOCOL = TCP
FROM_PORT = 22
TO_PORT = 22

Any suggestion of what am I doing wrong?

Thanks,
Izhar