StarCluster - Mailing List Archive

Re: how long will it take to initialize 3000 nodes

From: Rayson Ho <no email>
Date: Tue, 4 Jun 2013 16:29:12 -0400

The "right" way is to first boot a cluster of say, 8-10 nodes, submit
jobs, and then use the StarCluster addnode command to grow your
cluster.

http://star.mit.edu/cluster/docs/0.93.3/manual/addremovenode.html

Also, note that NFS will likely be the bottleneck of the cluster when
you have 3000 nodes!!

Last year, we created the world's first 10,000-node cluster (yes,
nodes, not cores like previous attempts) with StarCluster and some of
our own hacks. It is possible to create extremely large clusters in
EC2, but not booting all at once.

http://blogs.scalablelogic.com/2012/11/running-10000-node-grid-engine-cluster.html

Rayson

http://gridscheduler.sourceforge.net/