StarCluster - Mailing List Archive

StarCluster VPCdev Branch?

From: MacMullan, Hugh <no email>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2013 19:39:02 +0000

Hi Folks:

Thought I'd poke the "StarCluster in a VPC" piece (vpcdev) mentioned in issue 21 (https://github.com/jtriley/StarCluster/issues/21) and a few e-mails over the past year. I just tried the vpcdev branch (after setting up a simple VPC) and got:

starcluster start test01
StarCluster - (http://web.mit.edu/starcluster) (v. 0.9999)
Software Tools for Academics and Researchers (STAR)
Please submit bug reports to starcluster_at_mit.edu

>>> Using default cluster template: test01
>>> Validating cluster template settings...
>>> Cluster template settings are valid
>>> Starting cluster...
>>> Launching a 5-node cluster...
>>> Creating security group sc-test01...
>>> Opening tcp port range 22-22 for CIDR 128.91.88.0/22
!!! ERROR - InvalidParameterValue: Invalid value 'sc-test01' for groupName. You may not reference Amazon VPC security groups by name. Please use the corresponding id for this operation.

I am using a pretty vanilla config, adding:
VPC_ID=vpc-XXXXXXXX
SUBNET_ID=subnet-XXXXXXXX

Before continuing to poke this on my own:

* anyone already using this successfully?

* am I missing something obvious?

* anyone still working on this?

I wish I had the skills to dive in and get this working myself. It looks pretty straightforward (this particular error anyway: need to use the id, not the name of the SG), so I just might poke around, but I thought I'd query the crowd in case there's a better way (than me stumbling around in python ;)).

Thanks for any thoughts on VPC/StarCluster!

-Hugh