StarCluster - Mailing List Archive

Re: Using a hi-I/O instance as the master node in a StarCluster Cluster

From: Oppe, Thomas C ERDC-RDE-ITL-MS Contractor <no email>
Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2013 23:33:32 +0000

Dustin,

As always, thank you very much for your advice. I was always wanting to know what the command was to find out what volumes were available to be mounted, and I did not know about "fdisk -l". I will use that command to see if the SSD's are available. I did not see the "/mnt" disk when I did "df -h", but it may show up when I do "fdisk -l".

I tried running HYCOM using the "/mnt" disk on the master node. Since I do not know how to redirect output files to a different filesystem, I had to put all input files on the master node's "/mnt". HYCOM reads its input files and writes its output files to the same directory. I also had to put four of the smaller input files on each node's "/mnt" disk. The executable could be placed either on every node's "/mnt" disk or on a shared EBS volume. This approach works fine for the serial I/O runs where the big output files are written by MPI rank 0 which resides on the "master" node. Unfortunately, I did not see an improvement in I/O performance over using a standard EBS volume. I would have thought that a local disk would be faster than a NFS-shared EBS volume. So I am experimenting with other ideas. Actually, I am overdrawn on my AWS account, so it may be awhile before I can experiment again.

Best wishes.

Tom Oppe