StarCluster - Mailing List Archive

Using a hi-I/O instance as the master node in a StarCluster Cluster

From: Oppe, Thomas C ERDC-RDE-ITL-MS Contractor <no email>
Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2013 16:06:42 +0000

Dear Sir:

I was wondering if anyone has tried using a high-performance I/O instance (e.g., "hi1.4xlarge") as the master node in a StarCluster cluster, with the other nodes being Sandy Bridge "cc2.8xlarge" instances. When I bring up a single "hi1.4xlarge" instance outside of StarCluster, there is an option to attach one or two 1-TB SSD disks, but when I bring up a cluster with "hi1.4xlarge" as the master node, the SSD disks are nowhere to be found. Is a plug-in necessary to ask for the SSD disks to be available? I have a code that needs the fastest I/O available for writes with a combined size of 100GB during the run. I have tried single Standard and Provisioned IOPS EBS volumes, but the I/O performance to these volumes is poor, even with "pre-warming". Has anyone written a plug-in for using striped volumes in StarCluster? I would appreciate any comments or pointers to information.

Tom Oppe