StarCluster - Mailing List Archive

Re: Terminating a cluster does not remove its security group (UNCLASSIFIED)

From: Dustin Machi <no email>
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2012 10:11:43 -0500

Comments Inline.

> I'm running a HYCOM job now using the /mnt disk on the master node.
> The problem is that big files are being written. One of the files is
> 57GB, and 24 other files of size 4GB are also written. The job is
> running more slowly than when run on an EBS volume, but that may be
> because the MPI executable is on an EBS volume and is being run from
> there.

When you say there are 153GB of data written, is that the output or is
that the size of the input files you are copying to /mnt/? The total
time to copy 153gb from the NFS share to each individual node plus the
time to do the actual work may in fact be longer than the original of
reading of the NFS share. I wasn't really suggesting that any of the
input files be relocated or that the mph binary should need to be moved
(I don't think the latter would have much of an impact at all, aside
from initially launching). I was only suggesting that the output of you
MPI scripts write to /mnt/ and then copy those output files back over to
the shared filesystem so you can get the final results.

If the input files are relatively static, you could do something like
this:

1. Create a volume and put all the data on it.
2. Make a snapshot of this volume.
3. For each of the nodes, create a new volume from the snapshot in #2,
and mount this.

At this point all the nodes will have all the data on their EBS volume
at launch and no copying is necessary.

When the data is updated, you can either a) update the data, create a
new snapshot and relaunch the cluster so volumes are generated from the
new snapshot, or b) Use rsync to update the base volume from a new copy
whenever a node boots. This will make the node startup a little bit
slower, but should be pretty fast if only a subset of the data has
changed.

Another question in regards to the write functionality of your MPI
program, is what size chunks does it try to write with. Buffering the
output and writing in larger chunks instead of a lot of tiny writes is
probably going to perform better for you. I use GlusterFS as a shared
filesystem in my setup, and the key for it is to have write in 64k
chunks (as opposed to the more common 4kb chunks that things like rsync
use by default).

> I gave up trying to login to each node of the cluster using
> "starcluster sshnode cluster <node>", mainly because I was getting ssh
> errors that were preventing me from logging in to several nodes. The
> error message was something like "you may be in a man-in-the-middle
> attack" or something like that.

This is normal for ssh. When you ssh into a machine you've never ssh'd
into before, it doesn't know if the host's signature is valid, so it
warns you before saving it associated with the host you are connecting
to. Thereafter, if you connect to a machine with the same name, it will
warn you if the signature doesn't match what you have on file (which
might be a man-in-the-middle attack). You can delete the signature in
~/.ssh/known_hosts by removing the line with same hostname.

In general, I would try to do some benchmarking to identify where the
bottleneck is. Is it Input Read or Output Write that is slow?

Dustin