StarCluster - Mailing List Archive

Re: Terminating a cluster does not remove its security group (UNCLASSIFIED)

From: Dustin Machi <no email>
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2012 13:03:36 -0500

> On another issue, do you have a pointer to information about how to
> create and use striped disks within StarCluster? We have an
> application that is I/O-intensive and the I/O portion seems to be
> slowing down the execution time considerably.

The I/O is being done over NFS (over the local network) by default. I
don't think there is anything built in that will let you configure a
striped setup out of the box. It would likely require that you write a
plugin to do that job. Your plugin would need to create the volumes,
mount them locally, and then configure and mount the logical (striped)
volume on top of that and format it with XFS. This XFS volume is then
exported to the other nodes by NFS.

All that said, I'm not sure NFS will cut it for you with a lot of I/O.
I would suggest that you use the local TEMP disk (ephemeral disks) on
your compute jobs and then copy the results over when a particular work
set is complete. This allows your app to use local/non-shared disk for
the intensive stuff and then just share back afterwards.

Dustin