StarCluster - Mailing List Archive

Re: Starcluster SGE usage

From: Justin Riley <no email>
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2012 12:04:32 -0400

Hey Guys,

Glad you figured out what needed to be changed in the SGE
configuration. I've been meaning to add a bunch more options to the
SGE Plugin to configure things like this along with other SGE tuning
parameters for some time now but simply haven't had the time. If
either of you are interested in working on a PR to do this that'd be
awesome. All of the SGE magic is here:

https://github.com/jtriley/StarCluster/blob/develop/starcluster/plugins/sge.py

and here's the SGE install and parallel environment templates used by
StarCluster:

https://github.com/jtriley/StarCluster/blob/develop/starcluster/templates/sge.py

I'm happy to discuss the plugin and some of the changes that would be
needed on IRC (freenode: #starcluster).

~Justin

On 10/18/2012 08:30 AM, Gavin W. Burris wrote:
> [...]
> is the same setting you would use for something like OpenMP.
>
> As for configuring the queue automatically, maybe there is an
> option in the SGE plugin that we can place in the
> ~/.starcluster/config file? I'd like to know, too. If not, we
> could maybe add some code. Or keep a shell script on a persistent
> volume that we run that does the needed qconf foo commands after
> starting a new head node.
>
> Cheers.
>

> On 10/17/2012 05:23 PM, John St. John wrote:
>> Hi Gavin, Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I found
>> a great solution though that seems to work really well. Since the
>> "slots" is already set up to be equal to the core count on each
>> node, I just needed access to a parallel environment that allowed
>> me to submit jobs to nodes, but request a certain number of slots
>> on a single node rather than spread out across N nodes. Changing
>> the allocation rule to "fill" would probably still overflow into
>> multiple nodes at the edge case. The way to do this properly is
>> with the $pe_slots allocation rule in the parallel environment
>> config file. Here is what I did:
>>
>> qconf -sp by_node (create this with qconf -ap [name])
>>
>> pe_name by_node slots 9999999 user_lists
>> NONE xuser_lists NONE start_proc_args /bin/true
>> stop_proc_args /bin/true allocation_rule $pe_slots
>> control_slaves TRUE job_is_first_task TRUE urgency_slots
>> min accounting_summary FALSE
>>

>> Then I modify the parallel environment list in all.q: qconf -mq
>> all.q pe_list make orte by_node
>>
>> That does it! Wahoo!
>>
>> Ok now the problem is that I want this done automatically
>> whenever a cluster is booted up, and if a node is added I want to
>> make sure these configurations aren't clobbered. Any suggestions
>> on making that happen?
>>
>> Thanks everyone for your time!
>>
>> Best, John
>>

>> On Oct 17, 2012, at 8:16 AM, Gavin W. Burris <bug_at_sas.upenn.edu>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi John,
>>>
>>> The default configuration will distribute jobs based on load,
>>> meaning new jobs land on the least loaded node. If you want to
>>> fill nodes, you can change the load formula on the scheduler
>>> config: # qconf -msconf load_formula slots
>>>
>>> If you are using a parallel environment, the default can be
>>> changed to fill a node, as well: # qconf -mp orte
>>> allocation_rule $fill_up
>>>
>>> You may want to consider making memory consumable to prevent
>>> over-subscription. An easy option may be to make an arbitrary
>>> consumable complex resource, say john_jobs, and set it to the
>>> max number you want running at one time: # qconf -mc john_jobs
>>> jj INT <= YES YES 0 0 # qconf -me global complex_values
>>> john_jobs=10
>>>
>>> Then, when you submit a job, specify the resource: $ qsub -l
>>> jj=1 ajob.sh
>>>
>>> Each job submitted in this way will consume one count of
>>> john_jobs, effectively limiting you to ten.

global - - - - - -