StarCluster - Mailing List Archive

Re: Starcluster SGE usage

From: John St. John <no email>
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2012 14:23:12 -0700

Hi Gavin,
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I found a great solution though that seems to work really well. Since the "slots" is already set up to be equal to the core count on each node, I just needed access to a parallel environment that allowed me to submit jobs to nodes, but request a certain number of slots on a single node rather than spread out across N nodes. Changing the allocation rule to "fill" would probably still overflow into multiple nodes at the edge case. The way to do this properly is with the $pe_slots allocation rule in the parallel environment config file. Here is what I did:

qconf -sp by_node (create this with qconf -ap [name])

pe_name by_node
slots 9999999
user_lists NONE
xuser_lists NONE
start_proc_args /bin/true
stop_proc_args /bin/true
allocation_rule $pe_slots
control_slaves TRUE
job_is_first_task TRUE
urgency_slots min
accounting_summary FALSE

Then I modify the parallel environment list in all.q:
qconf -mq all.q
pe_list make orte by_node

That does it! Wahoo!

Ok now the problem is that I want this done automatically whenever a cluster is booted up, and if a node is added I want to make sure these configurations aren't clobbered. Any suggestions on making that happen?

Thanks everyone for your time!

Best,
John