StarCluster - Mailing List Archive

Re: Star cluster not creating instances on Amazon's East Region

From: Justin Riley <no email>
Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2012 01:39:28 -0400

There would be some impact in terms of network latency given that, in
theory, nodes *might* be assigned to different availability zones which
means different data centers and thus higher network latency. This could
affect the performance of things like NFS-shares on the cluster as well
as any applications that require a lot of network communication between
nodes but it's hard to quantify the exact performance hit in this case
due to the randomness of where instances are allocated in the data
centers.

So depending on whether Amazon spreads the instances across multiple
zones or not there could be a trade-off between network performance vs
launch reliability.

With that said I'm leaning towards changing the default in favor of
launch reliability given that others have occassionally encountered
similar errors from AWS concerning oversubscribed zones. Not to mention
the network latency between nodes in general is suboptimal even when
launching in the same zone given that nodes are often separated by many
routers even within the same data center. My guess is that if possible,
Amazon will choose the same zone for instances by default but I need to
test this to make sure.

If we made this switch I would also add a flag that enables the old
behavior of trying to launch all nodes in the same availability zone for
those that care and understand the risks. This way it's an optimization
flag instead of a 'deoptimization' flag and the default behavior is more
likely to 'just work' for users. I could also add an optional setting to
the config to set the 'zone launch strategy' by default for different
cluster configs.

What do folks think?

~Justin