StarCluster - Mailing List Archive

Re: Little question

From: Sergio Mafra <no email>
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2012 11:43:15 -0300

Hi Don,

Thanks for the info and what a relief! It´s been done a lot of job on the
cluster itself and losing everything would be a waste of precious time. I
was afraid of StarCluster restriction on that based on somebody´s blog that
tells you should start fresh (not in my case).

best regards,

Sergio

Extract from the blog...

Start up an instance of the type you want to customize

For large instances, I start with the x86_64 AMI on the StarCluster home
page. That’s currently ami-999d49f0. I start it using the starcluster
command line, from my local machine:

%% starcluster start -o -s 1 -i m1.large -n ami-999d49f0 customize_me

Then, once it’s started, I log in and install software, configure boot,
etc. (See *Reusing course
materials*<http://ged.msu.edu/angus/tutorials-2012/reusing-course-materials.html>
 for an example.) A few notes –

   - don’t put anything in /root that’s not in a hidden (dot) directory;
   the script for building a new AMI will erase everything in that directory.
   - don’t put anything under /mnt if you want it saved as part of the AMI,
   as this will *not* get baked into the new AMI.
   - don’t mount any EBS volumes as they, too, will get baked into the new
   AMI.

Generally I put things under /usr/local/src (if it’s a program) or
elsewhere under /usr if not. These will get saved as part of the new AMI.

Once you’ve customized things so that everything starts up on boot as you
want – TEST THIS!! – tell starcluster to make a new EBS image:

%% starcluster ebsimage i-9999999 my-new-image

Here you should name it something other than ‘my-new-image’. You can figure
out the correct instance ID by logging into the AWS console and looking, or
by doing

%% starcluster listclusters

and voila, it will show up under your AMIs!