StarCluster - Mailing List Archive

Re: Start timeout for spot instances

From: Justin Riley <no email>
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2012 17:08:20 -0400

Hi David,

This is useful although it could wind up wasting several instance hours
if all but one spot instance fails to come up for example. A better
approach would be for the start command to monitor spot instance
requests up until a deadline at which point the spot requests which
haven't come up yet are cancelled and on-demand instances are requested
in their place. This would avoid having to write this logic in your
script completely and also enables a mode where you 'get as much spot as
you can' up until a specified timeout. What do you think?

I've created an issue to keep track of this:

http://web.mit.edu/star/cluster/issues/98

~Justin