StarCluster - Mailing List Archive

python-crypto 2.0.1+dfsg1 vs. 2.1 ??

From: Adam Marsh <no email>
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2011 18:33:05 -0400

Justin>

Seems like a recent change in the python-crypto version is problematic. When running a starcluster setup script on a new EC2 instance today, I cam across this halt:

--------------------
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/bin/starcluster", line 4, in <module>
    import pkg_resources
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/pkg_resources.py", line 2659, in <module>
    parse_requirements(__requires__), Environment()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/pkg_resources.py", line 546, in resolve
    raise DistributionNotFound(req)
pkg_resources.DistributionNotFound: pycrypto>=2.1
----------------------

In going through the setup procedure from scratch several times I finally noticed that near the beginning of the instantiation with AMI-0af31963, python-crypto is now automatically selected for installation:

-----------------------------------
          python-crypto
Suggested packages:
          python-crypto-dbg
          python-crypto python-paramiko
0 upgraded, 2 newly installed, 0 to remove and 205 not upgraded.
Need to get 1,006kB of archives.
After this operation, 8,614kB of additional disk space will be used.
Get:1 http://us-east-1.ec2.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid/main python-crypto 2.0.1+dfsg1-4ubuntu2 [187kB]
Get:2 http://us-east-1.ec2.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid/main python-paramiko 1.7.6-2 [819kB]
Fetched 1,006kB in 0s (6,566kB/s)
Selecting previously deselected package python-crypto.
(Reading database ... 83844 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking python-crypto (from .../python-crypto_2.0.1+dfsg1-4ubuntu2_amd64.deb) ...
Setting up python-crypto (2.0.1+dfsg1-4ubuntu2) ...
... <no errors reported; paramiko is installed next>
------------------------------------

After this initial setup, 'dpkg -s python-crypto' reports that v2.0.1+dfsg1-4ubuntu2 is installed.

What is a little confusing is that later in my setup script I still had this command 'apt-get install python-crypto,' which first reports that it is looking for v2.1, but then reports that v2.4 is the best match available, and then reports that the install of v2.4 has failed. And maybe because this version 'python-crypto_2.0.1+dfsg1-4ubuntu2' is newer and already installed.

*** QUESTION ****
Bottom line, It seems to be more of an OS/setup issue than a problem directly related to SC, but if you have any suggestions for how to get python-crypto installed so it can play nice with SC, I'd appreciate it. I can't even locate an old v2.1 source file.

Thanks,

<Adam

Adam G. Marsh, Ph.D.
Associate Professor