StarCluster - Mailing List Archive

Re: 100 nodes cluster

From: Rayson Ho <no email>
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2011 08:59:55 -0700 (PDT)

1) I agree with Matt, also a 20-node cluster should be relatively error free to bootstrap.

2) EC2 occasionally fails to start a node or 2 when requested to start a large number of nodes (instances), and I believe it has to do with how busy it is handling other requests as well. The best way to not overload EC2 is to start a few nodes at a time rather than the whole cluster all at once.

In 0.92rc2, there is the addnode command:

$ starcluster addnode mynewcluster

The latest trunk introduces the ability to add multiple nodes, e.g. 3 nodes:

$ starcluster addnode -n 3 mycluster

So instead of starting a 100-node cluster during start-up, try starting a 20 or 30-node one first, and then grow the cluster. For 0.92rc2, you may want to script the addnode command unless you enjoy typing :-D

3) I will do more scalability testing and hope to contribute scalability related improvements to StarCluster in the near future. I am waiting for the EBS based AMI so that I can start a large number of instances without breaking the bank - I am going to use my own AWS account, so I am interested in minimizing cost by using t1.micro (which is slower when running real work, but I am interesting in the launch speed of EC2 itself, so t1.micro seems to be perfect for my need!).

https://github.com/jtriley/StarCluster/issues/52

http://mailman.mit.edu/pipermail/starcluster/2011-October/000818.html

(To Justin: no pressure in getting the EBS AMI, I will be busy till mid Nov).

Rayson

Grid Engine / Open Grid Scheduler
http://gridscheduler.sourceforge.net