StarCluster - Mailing List Archive

Adding Python Modules

From: Chris Diehl <no email>
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2011 17:55:07 -0700

Hello,

I just successfully fired up my first cluster in short order which is
brilliant!

My first step was to try and install additional modules so that I could save
a custom AMI for future use.

Doing an 'easy_install <packagename>' yielded:

-------------------------

error: can't create or remove files in install directory

The following error occurred while trying to add or remove files in the
installation directory:

    [Errno 13] Permission denied:
'/usr/local/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/test-easy-install-5265.write-test'

The installation directory you specified (via --install-dir, --prefix, or
the distutils default setting) was:

    /usr/local/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/

Perhaps your account does not have write access to this directory? If the
installation directory is a system-owned directory, you may need to sign in
as the administrator or "root" account. If you do not have administrative
access to this machine, you may wish to choose a different installation
directory, preferably one that is listed in your PYTHONPATH environment
variable.

Does sgeadmin not have admin rights? Should I be able to install software at
will without permissions issues?

Chris