StarCluster - Mailing List Archive

ERROR - Invalid AWS_ACCESS_KEY_ID/AWS_SECRET_ACCESS_KEY combination

From: Stuart Young <no email>
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2010 01:49:58 -0500

I was hoping you could help me with what appears to be an AWS
credentials problem. When I run the starcluster 'physicscluster' example
with my AWS keys already added to my /root/.starcluster/config file
(copied below), I get the following error (versions 0.91 and 0.91.2):

starcluster \
-c /root/.starcluster/config \
start physicscluster

>>> Using default cluster template: smallcluster
>>> Validating cluster template settings...
    cluster.py:766 - ERROR - Invalid
    AWS_ACCESS_KEY_ID/AWS_SECRET_ACCESS_KEY combination.
    cli.py:243 - ERROR - settings for cluster template "smallcluster"
    are not valid

I have boto 2.0b3, paramiko 1.7.6 and pycrypto-2.3 installed.

I have double-checked that my AWS_ACCESS_KEY_ID and
AWS_SECRET_ACCESS_KEY are correct.

Do you have any suggestions as to what I should check next?

Cheers,

Stuart

Here is my /root/.starcluster/config file:

####################################
## StarCluster Configuration File ##
####################################

[global]
# configure the default cluster template to use when starting a cluster
# defaults to 'smallcluster' defined below. this template should be usable
# out-of-the-box provided you've configured your keypair correctly
DEFAULT_TEMPLATE=smallcluster
# enable experimental features for this release
ENABLE_EXPERIMENTAL=False

[aws info]
# This is the AWS credentials section.
# These settings apply to all clusters
# replace these with your AWS keys

AWS_ACCESS_KEY_ID=XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
AWS_SECRET_ACCESS_KEY=XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXxxxxxx
AWS_USER_ID=XXXXXXXXXX

# Sections starting with "key" define your keypairs
# (see the EC2 getting started guide tutorial on using ec2-add-keypair
to learn
# how to create new keypairs)
# Section name should match your key name e.g.:
[key gsg-keypair]
KEY_LOCATION=/home/admin/.keypairs/id_rsa-starcluster-1

KEYNAME = starcluster-1

# You can of course have multiple keypair sections
# [key my-other-gsg-keypair]
# KEY_LOCATION=/home/myuser/.ssh/id_rsa-my-other-gsg-keypair

# Sections starting with "cluster" define your cluster templates
# Section name is the name you give to your cluster template e.g.:
[cluster smallcluster]
# change this to the name of one of the keypair sections defined above
KEYNAME = starcluster-1

# number of ec2 instances to launch
CLUSTER_SIZE = 2

# create the following user on the cluster
CLUSTER_USER = sgeadmin

# optionally specify shell (defaults to bash)
CLUSTER_SHELL = bash

# AMI for cluster nodes.
# The base i386 StarCluster AMI is ami-d1c42db8
# The base x86_64 StarCluster AMI is ami-a5c42dcc
NODE_IMAGE_ID = ami-d1c42db8
# instance type for all cluster nodes
m2.4xlarge, m2.2xlarge)
NODE_INSTANCE_TYPE = m1.small

# Uncomment to specify a different instance type for the master node
(OPTIONAL)
# (defaults to NODE_INSTANCE_TYPE if not specified)
#MASTER_INSTANCE_TYPE = m1.small

# Uncomment to specify a separate AMI to use for the master node. (OPTIONAL)
# (defaults to NODE_IMAGE_ID if not specified)
#MASTER_IMAGE_ID = ami-d1c42db8 (OPTIONAL)

# availability zone to launch the cluster in (OPTIONAL)
# (automatically determined based on volumes (if any) or
# selected by Amazon if not specified)
#AVAILABILITY_ZONE = us-east-1c

# list of volumes to attach to the master node and nfs share to worker
nodes (OPTIONAL)
# (see "Configuring EBS Volumes" below for an example of defining volume
sections)
#VOLUMES = oceandata, biodata

# list of plugins to load after StarCluster's default setup routines
(OPTIONAL)
# (see "Configuring StarCluster Plugins" below for an example of
defining a plugin section)
#PLUGINS = myplugin, myplugin2

## Defining Additional Cluster Templates ##

# You can also define multiple cluster templates.
# You can either supply all configuration options as with smallcluster
above, or
# create an EXTENDS=<cluster_name> variable in the new cluster section
to use all
# settings from <cluster_name> as defaults. Below are a couple of example
# cluster templates that use the EXTENDS feature:

# [cluster mediumcluster]
# Declares that this cluster uses smallcluster as defaults
# EXTENDS=smallcluster
# This section is the same as smallcluster except for the following
settings:
# KEYNAME=my-other-gsg-keypair
# NODE_INSTANCE_TYPE = c1.xlarge
# CLUSTER_SIZE=8
# VOLUMES = biodata2

# [cluster largecluster]
# Declares that this cluster uses mediumcluster as defaults
# EXTENDS=mediumcluster
# This section is the same as mediumcluster except for the following
variables:
# CLUSTER_SIZE=16

#############################
## Configuring EBS Volumes ##
#############################

# Using EBS volumes with StarCluster is relatively straight forward. You
create
# a [volume] section that represents an EBS volume. The section name is
a tag
# for your volume. This tag is used in the VOLUMES setting in a cluster
template
# to declare that an EBS volume is to be mounted and nfs shared on the
cluster.
# (see the commented VOLUMES setting in the 'smallcluster' template above)
# Below are some examples of defining and configuring EBS volumes to be used
# with StarCluster:

# Sections starting with "volume" define your EBS volumes
# Section name tags your volume e.g.:
# [volume biodata]
# (attach 1st partition of volume vol-c9999999 to /home on master node)
# VOLUME_ID = vol-c999999
# MOUNT_PATH = /home

# Same volume as above, but mounts to different location
# [volume biodata2]
# (attach 1st partition of volume vol-c9999999 to /opt/ on master node)
# VOLUME_ID = vol-c999999
# MOUNT_PATH = /opt/

# Another volume example
# [volume oceandata]
# (attach 1st partition of volume vol-d7777777 to /mydata on master node)
# VOLUME_ID = vol-d7777777
# MOUNT_PATH = /mydata

# Same as oceandata only uses the 2nd partition instead
# [volume oceandata]
# (attach 2nd partition of volume vol-d7777777 to /mydata on master node)
# VOLUME_ID = vol-d7777777
# MOUNT_PATH = /mydata
# PARTITION = 2

#####################################
## Configuring StarCluster Plugins ##
#####################################

# Sections starting with "plugin" define a custom python class
# which can perform additional configurations to StarCluster's default
routines. These plugins
# can be assigned to a cluster template to customize the setup procedure
when
# starting a cluster from this template
# (see the commented PLUGINS setting in the 'smallcluster' template above)
# Below is an example of defining a plugin called 'myplugin':

# [plugin myplugin]
# myplugin module either lives in ~/.starcluster/plugins or is
# in your PYTHONPATH
# SETUP_CLASS = myplugin.SetupClass
# extra settings are passed as arguments to your plugin:
# SOME_PARAM_FOR_MY_PLUGIN = 1
# SOME_OTHER_PARAM = 2