StarCluster - Mailing List Archive

creating a new AMI for starcluster -- can't log in

From: Dan Tenenbaum <no email>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2010 16:45:49 -0700

Hi all,

I am following the instructions here:

http://starcluster.scripts.mit.edu/~starcluster/wiki/index.php?title=StarCluster_AMI_Cookbook_Ubuntu_10.04

...to create a new AMI for use with StarCluster.

The problem is, I end up with an AMI that I cannot ssh into.

I am using Ubuntu 10.10 instead of 10.04.

I need some clarification on these steps:

Configure Root Login

The alestic AMI's have been configured to disable root logins. Follow the
commands below to undo this behavior:

   1. edit /etc/cloud/cloud.cfg and set disable_root: 0
   2. edit /root/.ssh/authorized_keys and remove prefix commands from pubkey
   entry
   3. edit /usr/bin/cloud-init, go to line 67 and change 'once-per-instance'
   to 'always', save and exit

Step 1 is easy. Step 3 I'm not sure about since that file looks different in
Ubuntu 10.10 and the string "once-per-instance" occurs three times in the
file. Should I change all occurrences of it?

Step 2 is the one that I think is messing me up.

Before modification, /root/.ssh/authorized_keys looked like this:

command="echo 'Please login as the ubuntu user rather than root
user.';echo;sleep 10" ssh-rsa AAAAB3..... my-keypair

(actual public key omitted)

I edited it to look like this:
ssh-rsa AAAAB3..... my-keypair

This is how a typical authorized_keys line looks, in my (limited)
experience. I've never seen one with a command in it before.
But I'm wondering if it is still being interpreted as a command. Could it be
because of something I did in step 2 or 3?

Hope someone can help. It's no fun having instances I can't log into. ;(
Dan