StarCluster - Mailing List Archive

Re: One simple question

From: Alexey PETROV <no email>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2010 17:11:55 +0200

On Tue, Oct 26, 2010 at 4:25 PM, Damian Eads <eads_at_soe.ucsc.edu> wrote:

> Hi Alexey,
>
> Thanks for your questions! :)

Hi Damian,

Thank you for sharing your experience and practice.
The problem is, that "cloud computing" is able to shifts our
usual perception of software and IT services.
For example, some "cloud" programmers have already started to think about
AMIs as "shared libraries".
Such revising of existing and commonplace viewpoints could revolutionary
change the software as well
(in the same way, as matrix algebra in its days helped to discover new
laws).
So, translating the existing software usage practice, without understanding
that rules of the game significantly shifted,
could be misleading. This primarily where my question come from.

> I guess I'll break my silence and mention that I'm an avid user of
> combining both Sun Grid Engine and MPI. I sometimes have several
> hundred MPI jobs I need to run where the returns diminish if the
> number of cores per MPI job is too high. Thus, I limit the number of
> cores/job so several MPI jobs run at once. As for creating "as many
> clusters as he wants", I've found it is often easier to manage a
> single cluster for a problem mainly because when I manage 2-4
> clusters, I often make mistakes in replicating volumes where my data
> and results are stored. At the very end of the computation, I run
> scripts which combine result files generated from all of the jobs. If
> they're on different volumes, I need to rsync each of them
> individually onto a common volume. By having all of my data on a
> single volume, I don't have to think about it. Only when I'm running
> second set of jobs for a completely different project with different
> code and data sets will I create second cluster.

Yes, just following you, I found "my own" benefits to use "queuing system".
If I would need to use CORBA scheduler to couple my MPI functionality,
I would need to run many MPI programs at the same time (better on the same
cluster, even from performance viewpoint).
So, the best solution to do this properly (I mean automatic load balancing),
is the "queuing system".
Therefore, even in case of user run one but complex task (coupled MPI
programs, for example) "queuing system" would really useful.

Thanks everybody, best regards,
Alexey