StarCluster - Mailing List Archive

Re: Action Hooks

From: Dan Yamins <no email>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2010 09:22:39 -0400

On Wed, Oct 20, 2010 at 9:05 AM, Austin Godber <godber_at_uberhip.com> wrote:

> Hi Dan,
> Yeah, I have been playing with them a little bit which is what brought
> up the idea. The plugins are exactly as you said a post startup hook. If I
> had a pre-shutdown hook I could save state about the cluster prior to
> shutting it down. I guess there may not be that many actions that need
> hooking, but I just thought I would throw the idea out there so people could
> give it a think.

Yes I agree, I defeinitely would like a pre-shutdown hook as well. I
think having a bunch of action hooks, which could be expressed as methods to
the ClusterSetup object just like "run" is now the post-startup hook, would
be good in general.

Justin and I and some others here in Cambridge once discussed also having a
_pre-start_ hook, as distinguished from a post-start hook, to handle
advanced logic in the configuration of the node start commands, like complex
cluster structures. Some of my original desire fore that is alleviated by
having a compound node_instance_type to these cluster structures, but it
still might be useful.

Also, now that there's also add_node and delete_node commands for dynamic
load balancing (I think these are going to be in the next release) having
action hooks for those actions would be useful as well. (I'm not sure how
Justin is thinking of handling it.)

Dan