StarCluster - Mailing List Archive

Re: status of HPC instance type

From: Fred Rotbart <no email>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2010 18:49:23 +1100

Hi Brian,

Since the storage performance of the virtual disk in either an S3 or EBS
backed AMI is much worst than that of an attached EBS volume, and since
this ami-30b84d59 was built with HPC in mind, the image is configured
with a minimum of storage. The assumption is that working storage will
be attached.

The recommended way of getting the storage you need is to create an
additional EBS volume and attach it, for example, as /home. This way you
can define as much storage as you need and get a performance boost as
well. The procedure to do so is documented in the StarCluster config file.

The EBS storage volume has the additional benefit, that if you do not
explicitly configure it to terminate when your AMI does, your data
storage is preserved and can be used in multiple runs.

- Fred