StarCluster - Mailing List Archive

Re: [Starcluster] problem with centOS ami?

From: Dan Yamins <no email>
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2010 09:57:52 -0400

On Thu, Sep 2, 2010 at 9:53 PM, Fred Rotbart <rotbart_at_softbart.com> wrote:

> Hi Dan,
>
> Thanks for the help.
>
> I had started building a lot of stuff from sources. However, the Python 2.6
> I took from
> http://chrislea.com/2009/09/09/easy-python-2-6-django-on-centos-5/. Any
> advantage to building the Python from sources?

Well, three reasons:

1) I needed a 64-bit install. Typically I've found that 64-bit
pre-compiled binaries are less reliable than building 64-bit. This is the
main reason I used a source as opposed to a pre-compiled binary (e.g from
python.org itself).

2) As explained at the top of Chris Lea's post, overwriting the system
python on centOS with python26 is really bad. I really really needed to
make sure that it didn't screw things up and so I decided to install in
/opt, where a completely standard install would work fine and be sure not to
interfere. To make a package install work while completely not interfering
with the other system installs, putting all the relevant byte-compiled
dependencies in version-number-named places throughout the distros, requires
alot of finicky work. I'm not comfortable enough with yum to feel like I
totally understood how to evaluate whether any given person's repo was
likely to be "right". This is the main reason I would use a non-yum-based
install vs. a repo install.

3) I wasn't aware of Chris Lea's work -- thank you so much for telling me of
it If I had known of it, perhaps I would have used it (if there's a 64-bit
version) -- but subject to the above provisos.

BTW why did you use the Rightscale image rather than using the Amazon one?

I've typically found Rightscale images to be more reliable than Amazon ones
actually -- and more things I already need are on them. Which amazon
image were you referring to?