StarCluster - Mailing List Archive

Re: [Starcluster] Custom Kernels in AMIs

From: Austin Godber <no email>
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2010 08:18:28 -0400

Hi Justin,
     If you follow the process I described, you will end up with an AMI
that uses the pv_grub kernel, but it still shows up as paravirtualized.
I thought I saw someone mention that the upcoming tools would actually
set the virtualization platform, I think that was in the AWS forums, but
I can't find it at the moment.

     I have not heard of anyone using the new instance type yet, nor
have I tried. If you would like, you can send me your AWS User ID and I
will share my AMIs with you. Oh, I have just realized that I made 32bit
images so they wouldn't even launch as that instance type. I should
have thought of that earlier. So, for HPC purposes, those instructions
need modification, they need to switch the AMI launched to a 64 bit and
then switch to the 64bit pv_grub kernel. They paths to the kernel and
initrd in the grub conf will need changing too.

     If I get a chance I will build a 64bit AMI but it will be a couple
days before I can get to it. Then we can actually try and launch and
AMI of that instance type.

Austin