StarCluster - Mailing List Archive

[Starcluster] Custom Kernels in AMIs

From: Austin Godber <no email>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2010 14:15:25 -0400

Hello Guys,
     I have documented the process for converting an Ubuntu 10.04 AMI to
using the pv_grub kernel. It is relatively painless, all you have to do
is write the appropriate grub config file and then rebundle with the
pv_grub kernel. I think, once they update the tools again it will be
possible to mark the AMI as 'hvm' rather than 'paravirtual' or I have
overlooked that setting. Regardless, I think that would just be a flag
and the real indication as to whether or not you are running in hvm mode
is whether it boots off of the pv_grub kernel.

Here it is:
http://blog.crunch.io/user-managed-kernel-amis-from-existing-ubuntu

Austin Godber