StarCluster - Mailing List Archive

Re: [Starcluster] Configure cluster with lam/mpi?

From: Justin Riley <no email>
Date: Wed, 02 Jun 2010 14:21:48 -0400

Hi Jun-Wei,

Just following up, I took a quick look and found that lam is actually
included in the Ubuntu repos. So, my instructions are now modified as:

1. launch a single instance of the StarCluster AMI with ElasticFox or
the AWS management console

2. Log into this instance as root and run the following command to
uninstall OpenMPI:

$ apt-get remove libopenmpi-dbg libopenmpi-dev \
libopenmpi1.3openmpi-bin openmpi-common openmpi-doc

3. Install lam by running:

$ apt-get install lam4-dev

4. Log out of the instance and use StarCluster's createimage command, e.g:

$ starcluster createimage i-99999 mybucket myimagename

5. Use the newly created AMI id in one of your cluster templates in the
config file.

6. Launch a cluster using that cluster template.

7. Login to the master node and edit /etc/lam/lam-bhost.def and add all
node aliases on a new line, e.g:

# ...
# This file is part of the LAM/MPI software package. For license
# information, see the LICENSE file in the top level directory of the
# LAM/MPI source distribution.
#
# $HEADER$
#
# Function: - bhost.def
# - a single-node LAM
#

master
node001

8. Save that file and run "lamboot" command as normal user to start the
lam daemons.

9. Compile and run your code :D

I'm considering creating a LAM image and sharing it publicly. Would
anyone else be interested in this?

~Justin