StarCluster - Mailing List Archive

Re: [Starcluster] Spot instances

From: Thomas Deselaers <no email>
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2010 11:20:02 +0200

Hi Justin,

I do remember that SGE notices when compute nodes go down and can put
them into the error ('E') state.

So, I played a bit with it:
I started a cluster, submitted some jobs and shut down random nodes.
However, SGE did not really notice a problem. Only after a while the
jobs disappeared, but I got no error messages or anything.

I will try to figure out how SGE can be configured to notice compute
nodes disappearing.

Along the same lines, I noticed that sometimes nodes come up with
quite a bit of time inbetween. So, the first node is already running
for a while until the second, third, ... all are coming up.

When you implement the options to add/remove nodes, maybe it is
possible to have the master and the nodes started independently.
Ideally, with spot instances as nodes these would register themselves
to the master and become available on their own. (Or the master
monitors instances coming up and going down).

Cheers, and once again: thanks for providing starcluster, it is really
saving a lot of work.
thomas

On Thu, Apr 15, 2010 at 23:36, Justin Riley <jtriley_at_mit.edu> wrote:

--
http://thomas.deselaers.de