StarCluster - Mailing List Archive

Re: [Starcluster] StarCluster instances not coming up

From: Justin Riley <no email>
Date: Sun, 31 Jan 2010 19:02:59 -0500

Hi Rob,

Thanks for your interest in StarCluster and sorry that you're having problems.
I've cc'd our mailing list on this one so that others will benefit this
thread, hope you don't mind. I would also like to invite you to join the list
for issues in the future.

Regarding your issue, I'm guessing you meant to say 'starcluster -s' got stuck
waiting for the cluster to come up? If so, you should check that you have port
22 open on 0.0.0.0/0 in your default security group. You can modify your
security group permissions using the AWS management console or the ElasticFox
firefox plugin.

The reason this permissions is needed is that StarCluster does its magic via
an ssh connection to each instance and therefore needs to be able to connect
on port 22 from your machine. Typically users set this up after following the
Amazon EC2 Getting Started Guide so that they have some way of logging into
their system(s).

Let me know if this fixes the issue for you.

The next version of StarCluster, coming soon, will not have this problem
because it creates security groups for each cluster and automatically
configures the firewall settings for ssh. Stay tuned.

~Justin