StarCluster - Mailing List Archive

Re: [Starcluster] How to update numpy / rebundle Starcluster

From: Justin Riley <no email>
Date: Tue, 08 Dec 2009 11:37:58 -0500

Hi Dan,

I'm cc'ing this list on this email, hope you don't mind :D

Thanks for your suggestions concerning numpy/scipy/software suite on the
StarCluster base AMIs. I will certainly put them to good use and will
likely have you test the AMIs before I release. As of the first release
I did very little testing of scipy/numpy other than importing them and
running a few trivial calculations. This next time around I'll put more
of an effort in this space, especially since this will peak the interest
of the SciPY/NumPY community.

> -- the python-drmaa module, which contains bindings for the drmaa
> interface to the SGE engine (much better than SGE's native interface,
> in my opinion. have you tried it).

I am using the python-drmaa library for a couple projects and it is
extremely useful. I will certainly put this in for set of StarCluster AMIs.

> Will you include (optional) command-line parameters for things like
nodenumber and maybe root/master AMI?

To answer your question about command-line parameters, the new version
of StarCluster now allows you to completely override anything that's in
the config besides the AWS credentials. Those most live either in a
config file or in environment variables. It's also now possible to
specify the config for StarCluster to use at command line. So you should
find you have considerably more flexibility in the next version ;)

> Great -- although I don't find the current EBS docs that cumbersome

I will certainly leave the old EBS documentation for whoever's
interested but I will advertise more heavily the new createami action
that will automate the process of rebundling AMIs.

> Actually, what about having attaching multiple EBS volumes? ...

Having the ability to mount multiple nfs'd EBS volumes on StarCluster is
a feature that I'd like to add, however, it may not make it for this
very next release. I'll add this as a feature request on github's issue
tracker. BTW, feel free to post suggestions/issues on the github issue
tracker for StarCluster:

http://github.com/jtriley/StarCluster/issues

Thanks again for your interest in StarCluster!

~Justin