StarCluster - Mailing List Archive

Re: [Starcluster] Starcluster post from alex.gorban_at_gmail.com requires approval

From: Justin Riley <no email>
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 2009 13:53:26 -0400

Hi Alex,

Thank you for using StarCluster! I'd like to invite you to join the
mailing list at some point. I've cc'd the list so that others can view
the response, I hope you don't mind.

Regarding your bug report, this is something I'm aware of and am working
to fix in the next release of StarCluster.

Currently, StarCluster has almost no accounting for what nodes were
started by StarCluster previously. For now, the software assumes that
the only EC2 instances you have in AWS are those started by StarCluster
AND that only one StarCluster has been started. Only under these
circumstances will the -m and -n options will work correctly.

This is clearly NOT optimal. I plan to implement a mechanism for proper
cluster accounting (including multiple cluster support):

My idea thus far is to:

1. Iterate through all EC2 instances (regardless of AMI) looking for a
file on the instance that indicates that it's a master node.

2. This file will contain all of the slave instances associated with
that master and thus help to eliminate the need for exhaustive search
(ie it will let me reduce the number of instances to search as I
encounter each master node).

3. This information will then be cached (for performance) and used for
the -l, -m, and -n options.

4. I will likely add a -u option will update the local cache.

5. Anytime you run the -s or -t options, the cache will also be updated.

6. Along with this I will be adding a -c option for specifying which
cluster you would like these options (ie -m, -n, -l, -t etc) to operate on.

This is the direction I'm heading as of now, but I would certainly
entertain any other ideas on how to properly account for clusters
launched by StarCluster.

I'll keep you posted as I make progress on this.

Thanks again for using StarCluster!

~Justin